Benjamin Mendy launches ‘multi-million-pound’ claim against Man City over unpaid wages after being cleared of rape

8 months ago 69

BENJAMIN Mendy has reportedly launched a multi-million pound lawsuit against Manchester City over unpaid wages.

The defender, 29, has filed a claim with the Employment Tribunal over “unauthorised deductions from wages”.

AFP
Benjamin Mendy at the Parc des Princes on August 12[/caption]
Benjamin Mendy in action for FC Lorient against AS Monaco at Stade du Moustoir on September 17Getty

He was acquitted of single counts of rape and attempted rape in July earlier this year.

The acquittals followed a jury clearing him of six alleged rapes and one attempted sexual assault in January.

Mendy’s football career was placed on hold for more than two years after he was accused of attacking two women during lockdown-busting parties at his Cheshire mansion.

He has now returned to professional football with French Ligue 1 side FC Lorient five days after his acquittal – making his debut in September.

But Mendy is now seeking a return of pay owed until the end of his contract, which expired in June, Sky Sports News reports.

A statement from lawyer Nick De Marco KC, acting on behalf of Mendy, said: “Nick De Marco KC (instructed by Laffer Abogados (Madrid) is acting for the former Manchester City player Benjamin Mendy in a multi-million-pound claim for unauthorised deductions from wages.

“Manchester City FC failed to pay Mr Mendy any wages at all from September 2021, following Mr Mendy being charged with various offence all of which he was subsequently acquitted of, until the end of his contract in June 2023.

“The claim will come before an Employment Tribunal.”

His last appearance in the Premier League came in August 2021 in a 1-0 defeat for Man City against Tottenham.

In a statement via his solicitor following his acquittal, Mendy vowed to begin “rebuilding his life”.

Jenny Wiltshire, the head of serious and general crime at Hickman & Rose, said: “Benjamin Mendy would like to thank the members of the jury for focussing on the evidence in this trial, rather than on the rumour and innuendo that have followed this case from the outset.

“This is the second time that Mr Mendy has been tried and found not guilty by a jury.

“He is delighted that both juries reached the correct verdicts.

“It has been almost three years since the police started investigating this matter.

“Mr Mendy has tried to remain strong but the process has, inevitably, had a serious impact on him.

“He thanks everyone who has supported him throughout this ordeal and now asks for privacy so he can begin rebuilding his life.”

AP:Associated Press
Mendy playing for City against Southampton at the Etihad stadium in November 2018[/caption]
Read Entire Article